Why It's Important
Going over your account balance or bouncing a check can result in transactions being declined and/or returned, but also your account can be charged Insufficient Funds and daily Overdraft fees for check, in-person withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, and other electronic transactions. See our Interest and Service Fees page for details.
Overdraft Protection Options
Zions Bank® offers Overdraft Protection options to help you prevent overdrafts and avoid non-sufficient funds (NSF) or overdraft service fees[cite::116::cite].
- Overdraft Deposit Transfer Service — Link a coverage account (Zions Bank savings, money market, or secondary checking account) to your primary checking account and available funds are automatically transferred to prevent overdrafts if the balance on your primary checking account is too low[cite::116::cite].
- Check Reserve Credit Line — Apply for an overdraft line of credit, and the line of credit automatically transfers available funds to cover overdrafts on your primary checking account[cite::117::cite].
The payment of transactions into overdraft is discretionary, and Zions Bank reserves the right not to pay. For example, Zions Bank typically does not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing or you’ve had excessive overdrafts. If your account goes into the overdraft, Zions Bank requests you immediately bring your account to a positive balance.
Debit Card Overdraft Service
Debit Card Overdraft Service applies to ATM and one-time debit card transactions and requires you to opt-in to this service. This service is separate from Zions Bank overdraft protection options. If you opt-in, these transactions may be paid at Zions Bank’s discretion, which means Zions Bank does not guarantee to always authorize and pay these transactions and fees may apply.
If you opt in to Debit Card Overdraft Service:
- Zions Bank may pay, at its discretion, ATM and one-time debit card transactions that cause an overdraft on your account.
- If Zions Bank pays the overdraft; you’ll be charged fees[cite::116::cite], including an insufficient funds fee (NSF) and overdraft service fees. Fees are taken from your account.
If you don’t opt in to Debit Card Overdraft Service:
- Zions Bank will decline to authorize any ATM or one-time debit card transactions that cause an overdraft on your account, and you won’t be charged fees.
Learn more about Overdrafts and Overdraft fees.
You can opt-in to Debit Card Overdraft Services online in three easy steps.
- Log in to Online Banking.
- Select Services tab.
- Click “Debit Card Overdraft Service” under Account Services.
- Debit Card Overdraft Services
- Overdraft Deposit Transfer Service
- Check Reserve Credit Line