Charitable Giving Policy
From 2013 - 2017, Zions Bank allocated millions of dollars to nonprofits in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. We believe that financial institutions have a duty to be proactive in supporting comprehensive and innovative ideas for issues confronting our communities.
To accomplish this goal, Zions Bank is committed to charitable giving, with focus on the following areas:
- Affordable Housing
- Arts and Culture
- Community Service
- Economic Development
- Health and Human Services
Organizations seeking funds from Zions Bank usually meet the following criteria:
- Designated as a 501c (3) by the Internal Revenue Service
- Operates within the communities served by Zions Bank (Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming)
Requesting a Donation from Zions Bank
All contribution requests must be submitted via mail or email and include the following:
- A brief description of the organization, including its mission and accomplishments.
- The purpose and description for which the request is being made.
- The dollar amount requested as well as other possible contribution levels.
- The budget for the event or program that the fund request will go towards.
- A copy of the organization’s tax-exempt notification letter or nonprofit designation as a government or tribal entity, as well as the Tax Identification Number (TIN).
Donation requests over $10,000 must also include a copy of the organization’s fiscal budget for the past two years.
With few exceptions, Zions Bank does not make charitable donations to or for the following:
- Travel and related expenses, including student trips
- Start-up funding for new organizations or small businesses
- For-profit entities
- Programs designed solely for religious purposes
- Organizations or programs outside the communities in which Zions Bank operates
- Pageant participation, such as beauty, rodeo queens, etc.
- Political campaigns or political parties
- Scholarships for higher education (handled separately)
For questions, please contact:
Tips for Grant Seekers
- Zions Bank only reviews one request per nonprofit per year. The fiscal year runs from January 1 to December 31.
- Nonprofits are advised to apply early in the fiscal year. The donation budget has historically been depleted by October.
- If the request is for an event (e.g. gala, race, golf tournament) nonprofits should apply at least 60 days in advance. This provides Zions Bank with sufficient time to process the check, fill the table(s), and provide the nonprofit with any additional items, such as sponsorship benefits.
- Event requests should also include a list of the different donation levels with the corresponding sponsorship benefits in their application.
- Nonprofits that are two years old or less are advised to keep their donation request to under $5,000.
In 2014, Zions Bank broke up the charitable giving process from a single committee into multiple regional committees across Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. We believe that giving local employees the authority to determine donation distributions creates value for communities.
Each Regional Giving Committee has a different meeting schedule — some meet monthly and some meet quarterly. Committee members are composed of Zions Bank employees.
Nonprofits will receive an email or phone call from their Regional Giving Committee President regarding the status of their request within six weeks of submission.
If approved funding, nonprofits must submit a/an:
- Charitable Contribution Acknowledgement Form
Nonprofits should also indicate whether they prefer a check or online donation. If the nonprofit prefers an online donation, please include a link to donate along with the other items listed above.
A check generally takes two weeks to process once all items have been received. An online donation generally takes two days to process once all items have been received. Please note that, until further notice, donations made online do not cover the cost of processing fees.
Marketing Materials: If the sponsorship includes additional benefits, such as an advertisement in a program or logo on a website, contact Hannah Williams.
2017 Grant Awards
- American Heart Association
- American Mothers Inc.
- Art Works for Kids
- Ascent Academies
- Asian Association of Utah
- Bike Utah
- Boise Pridefest
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake
- Brigham Young University
- Centerpoint Legacy Theatre
- Children’s Service Society of Utah
- City of North Salt Lake
- Clark Planetarium
- Community Foundation of Jackson Hole
- Community Nursing Services
- Davis Applied Technology College Foundation
- Discovery Gateway
- Dixie State University
- Enable Utah
- Fairsport, Inc.
- Fit to Recover
- Foundation for Family Life of Utah
- Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge Utah Chapter
- Friends for Sight
- Governor’s Mansion Foundation
- Grantsville Performing Arts Council
- Helper Project
- IJ And Jeanne Wagner Jewish Community Center
- Inclusion Center for Community and Justice
- Intermountain Healthcare Foundation Inc.
- Jordan Education Foundation
- Junior Achievement of Utah Inc.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Kidseat! Foundation
- Kiwanis International Inc.
- Kostopulos Dream Foundation
- League of Women Voters
- Legal Aid Society
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Utah
- McGillis School
- Murray High School
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society of Utah
- Nuzzles & Co
- Ogden Pioneer Heritage Foundation
- Opportunity Foundation
- Pacific Heritage Academy
- People Helping People
- Peoples Health Clinic Inc.
- Polizzi Clinic
- Provo School District Foundation
- Repertory Dance Theatre
- Roman Catholic Bishop of Salt Lake City
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Salt Contemporary Dance
- Salt Lake Cap Head Start
- Salt Lake Chamber Women’s Business Center
- Salt Lake Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Sandy Area Chamber of Commerce
- Sanpete County
- Southern Utah University
- Spy Hop Productions
- Summit Land Conservancy
- The Children’s Center
- The Exchange Club of Sandy
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- The Road Home
- Tuacahn Center for The Arts
- Turn Community Services Inc.
- University of Utah
- Utah 1033 Foundation
- Utah Aids Foundation
- Utah Anti-Bullying Coalition
- Utah Coalition of La Raza
- Utah Division of Arts and Museums
- Utah Division of Indian Affairs
- Utah Festival Opera Company
- Utah Food Bank
- Utah Foster Care
- Utah Foundation
- Utah Heritage Foundation
- Utah Infertility Resource Center
- Utah Microenterprise Loan Fund
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art
- Utah Partners for Health
- Utah Pride Festival
- Utah State University
- Utah’s Hogle Zoo
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports Inc.
- Waterford School
- West Ridge Academy
- YWCA Utah
- Zero: The End of Prostate Cancer