The Following Tips Could Help Significantly to Increase Password Strength
- Passwords should be at least eight characters whenever possible (eg. iluvhockey)
- Add a number within your password (eg. bigbird29)
- Use symbols or add upper and lower case characters (eg. $even53 ($=S) or Seven53)
- Combine easy to remember words (eg. Black21dog)
- Do not increment passwords each month (eg. 1st month = Black21dog, 2nd month = Black22dog, etc.)
Using these techniques could increase your password strength exponentially and help ensure that hackers can't use a "dictionary attack" to guess your password.
- Don't base your password on easily guessed personal data such as children's or pets' names, important dates, or hobbies.
- Never, ever write down a password.
- Don't provide your computer password over the phone, even to someone claiming to be from the bank.
- Don't share your password with co-workers.