What Is an Overdraft?
An overdraft happens when you don’t have enough money in your account to pay for a transaction you’ve already made—essentially, you go over your account balance or bounce a check. Not only can this result in transactions being declined and/or returned, but your account can be charged insufficient funds and daily overdraft fees for check, in-person withdrawal, ATM withdrawal and other electronic transactions. See Zions Bank Interest and Service Fees for details.
Overdraft Protection Options
Zions Bank® offers Overdraft Protection options to help you prevent overdrafts and avoid non-sufficient funds (NSF) or overdraft service fees1 .
- Overdraft Deposit Transfer Service—Link a coverage account (Zions Bank savings, money market, or secondary checking account) to your primary checking account and available funds are automatically transferred to prevent overdrafts if the balance on your primary checking account is too low1 .
- Check Reserve Credit Line—Apply for an overdraft line of credit, and the line of credit automatically transfers available funds to cover overdrafts on your primary checking account2 .
Courtesy Approval applies to ATM and one-time debit card transactions and requires you to opt-in to this service. This service is separate from Zions Bank overdraft protection options. If you opt-in to Courtesy Approval, these transactions may be paid at Zions Bank’s discretion, which means Zions Bank does not guarantee to always authorize and pay these transactions and fees may apply.
If you opt in to Courtesy Approval:
- Zions Bank may pay, at its discretion, ATM and one-time debit card transactions that cause an overdraft on your account.
- If Zions Bank pays the overdraft; you’ll be charged fees1 , including an insufficient funds fee (NSF) and overdraft service fees. Fees are taken from your account.
- Zions Bank will decline to authorize any ATM or one-time debit card transactions that cause an overdraft on your account, and you won’t be charged fees.
Use the methods below to opt-in to Courtesy Approval and/or establish an Overdraft Protection option.
|Overdraft Deposit Transfer Service||
Your nearest Financial Center
|Check Reserve Credit Line||
|—||Your nearest Financial Center|