Important Details
  • Zions Bank sponsors the Homeowners Café® as a service to the community; therefore, all information provided should be considered as educational in nature and not as professional services. By utilizing the services of, and the information provided by, the Homeowners Café, you acknowledge and agree this does not constitute any legal commitment to become a customer of any bank, including Zions Bank and its affiliates nor does it constitute an offer of any extension or modification of any credit to you by Zions Bank or its affiliates.

1031 Exchange

Defer Capital Gains When Selling an Investment Property

If you’re planning on selling an investment property, you may face a large capital gain subject to federal and state taxes. A tax-deferred exchange under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code allows you to sell investment properties and acquire "like-kind" properties while deferring federal, and possibly state, capital gains taxes.

In order to receive tax-deferred treatment, an independent party must act as a qualified intermediary (QI) or accommodator to hold your funds from the time you sell your relinquished property and purchase a replacement property.

Until recently a QI could be any person or firm not associated with the investor, with no licensing or other qualifications required. With recent QI failures, some states now have regulations in place. Utah has no active regulation program.

Always investigate your QI thoroughly.

More Information

Important Details




Homeowner’s Café®
This page was last modified on Mon Mar 30 14:19:28 MDT 2015